Devotions for Work
Work. We all do it, in some form or another, every day. Work looks different for each of us. Maybe your work entails welding pipes together, folding excessive amounts of laundry, combing through spreadsheets, volunteering at church, writing code, selling a product, or wrangling 27 ten-year olds as you attempt to teach them how to multiply fractions. While each person’s work may look different, all work has one thing in common. It’s work! It requires effort. It is seldom easy or problem free. And while we may experience seasons of great satisfaction in our work, we can also find ourselves coping with times of over-busyness, apathy, or frustration.
Whether you’re stuck in a rut at work, overwhelmed by responsibility, or feeling like the work you do has no meaning, I want to encourage you that what you do matters. God has called every one of us to work and be involved in caring for his world (Gen. 2:15). And since it can be easy to lose sight of the fact that our work is a significant part of God’s kingdom plan, we at Today compiled this list of ten reflective and inspirational devotions about work. We hope these devotions will help you discover (or rediscover) why work is important, what God teaches about work, and how we are to go about the work we do.
- A reminder that you were created in the very image of God and Made to Work.
- An encouragement for When Work Appears Meaningless.
- Assurance that A Good Day’s Work is good for you.
- Inspiration for when you find yourself growing lazy in your Work Day.
- Advice to help you navigate times when your values and those of your employer clash, A New Pattern of Work: Integrity.
- A reflection to help you find the right balance between Work and Rest in your life.
- Affirmation that no matter what you do To Work, you are sent out by God.
- A reminder that you have a Savior who understands work and works alongside you each day, God’s People at Work: Jesus.
- An invitation to be one of God’s Co-workers: Providing for Needs in every small thing you do.
- Reassurance that God calls and equips you to always be Following Jesus at Work.
We at Today hope you find these devotions useful and encouraging in the work you do. If you’re looking for a more in-depth or long-term reflection on work, check out our month-long devotional series from February 2016 called “God’s Work and Ours.”
And in all the work you do, may you be challenged by God’s Word, “whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters” (Colossians 3:23). For when work is done faithfully, according to God’s call, we can find joy in the eternal value of all we do.